Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Obama's Reaction to Palin Pregnancy

I was sitting at a hotel in DC this morning watching CNN and caught this sound-byte from Barack Obama:

Let me be a clear as possible: I have said before and I will repeat again, I think people's families are off limits, and people's children are especially off limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics, It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as governor, or her potential performance as a vice president, and so I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories.

You know my mother had me when she was 18, and how a family deals with issues and, you know, teenage children, that shouldn't be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that's off limits.

I think the first paragraph is the boiler-plate "what you say when your opponent's kid does something" statement. It is somewhat noble, but nowhere near extraordinarily so.

What is special to me is that he points out that his mother was 18 when she had him. By doing that, he has linked himself to Palin and her daughter. That is truly noble, because he had every right to lift his nose and hide behind a "don't judge her, just look how I'm better" statement and instead he made a "listen, if you're so shallow that you'll judge someones political career on the basis of the morality of their immediate family, then you better not elect me either" statement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He had "every right" to lift his nose and show how better he is? Maybe in your world.

Burgher Jon said...

Fair enough, perhaps that sentance would have been better worded like this:

He had an opportunity to put out a "don't judge her, just know I'm better" statement...