Monday, October 20, 2008

Not a Lot of News

As the world holds its breath to see how Wall Street will respond to its first net UP week in quite a while, I have little to report and even less time to do it. I read the post-gazette and the burghosphere this morning and it seems that no one has much to discuss. So I'll offer a few personal insights.
  • Pittsburgh is a city of secret little charms. I spent an hour or two last night sitting on the dock on the Southside trail looking at the city and the stars (all 7 that you can see from downtown) and snuggling up to my girlfriend. It is a night I will not soon forget. While NYC and other cities certainly have their charms, I think Pittsburgh has more secretly charming places per square mile then anywhere in the world.
  • Football fandom is not one of our "secret" charms and yesterday we made it clear. Approximately 9,000 (or 10%) of the crowd in Cincinnati were Steelers fans cheering their team to yet another victory. I follow Penn State and the Steelers and so far I'm 13-1 with both teams looking like title contenders. There's a lot to cheer about.
  • One thing I'm not cheering about is the fact that this is my last day in my beloved city for a little while. I first announced well over a month ago that I was likely going to be accepting a position down South, but tomorrow is the day I'm actually moving. My feelings could not be more mixed, I am excited about the opportunity but I will dearly miss my girlfriend, my brother, my mother, my father, my friends and my city.

1 comment:

Three said...

While I'm new to your site, I'm not new to the stuff you are now facing. I agree with you whole-heartedly that Pgh is a city that has "secret charms" -- I've always phrased it like it's a place for explorers, because all of the best things about it aren't immediately evident. But that's what I love -- there's always something new to find.

I've left the city/region more times than I care to count, only to find myself back here (to stay, this time). But one thing that always happened to me whenever I came back to visit: It was almost instant decompression because not a lot changes -- or, as I'm sure you know, change happens slowly. I remember taking a cab from the airport to an old local haunt where friends were going to pick me up after their workday ended. The bartender saw me and said, "Hey! Haven't seen you in a while." I said, "Yeah, well, I live in Florida now. Haven't been back here for a year or two." She gave me a puzzled glance and said, "Really?" I shook my head and started laughing. God I love this town.