Monday, November 3, 2008

The First 100 Days

There will be much made of what the new President (I'm going to assume Obama) plans to do in his first "100 days". This will begin as soon as the election is over. Anyone who followed Bush or Clinton knows the drill. So, since I assume Barack Obama is one of the people that reads this blog, I'm going to outline my top objectives for him (in no particular order):
  • Call Warren Buffet and see if he has any interest in Secretary of the Treasury
  • Call John McCain and see if he has any interest in Secretary of Defense
  • Call Colin Powell or Bill Clinton to see if they have any interest in Secretary of State
  • I don't know if I got this point across or not, but I'm trying to build a cabinet that people will view as the third coming of Camelot. I think it's critical for a relatively inexperienced president to be surrounded by great advisors.
  • Call the leaders of every international country, every last one, and tell them there's a new sherrif in town. One who wants to collaborate to make this world a better place. One who will help you do good and make you wish you hadn't done evil.
  • Take press conferences, personally, twice a week. The people need to see the president speak, not his surrogates.
  • Endorse Hillary Clinton for Majority Leader in the Senate, get a photo opp.
  • Setup a summit to discuss the economic crisis. Come away with a clear plan for what, the Treasury Secretary, Congress and the President will do in the coming months to ease the problem and not run the defecit too high in the process. Specific spending cuts need to come out of this meeting. A follow up meeting and publically published progress report should be established to ensure congress and the president keep up their ends.
  • Veto a democrat's bill that has too much pork in it. Got that idea from Ed Heath.
  • Appoint a conservative, constitutionally responsible judge to the supreme court. I have a whole bunch of opinions about what that means, but we'll save that for another day.
That's what I've got off the top of my head, suggestions welcome in the comments.

No comments: