Thursday, November 20, 2008

State of the Burghosphere

The Burghosphere has suffered some tremendous, tragic losses in the last few months. This has been lamented in SEVERAL places. What I think has been lost is how many blogs have come in to the Burghosphere in that time. While none of these have the quality or the following of Burgh Blog, Conversation or PittsBlog, they are young and need time to mature. When I look back on the blog posts I made 6 or 8 months ago, I'm ashamed that they are on the record. I'm sure that I'll be similarly ashamed of this post in another 6 to 8 months.

The addition and subtraction of blogs from the Burghosphere as well as the long maturity process is just part of the game. The reason a blog is a valuable source of information/opinions is the same thing that shortens its lifetime and makes it slow to mature. Namely this reason is that the sole author is not formally trained, not supported by an editorial staff and not paid (forcing him/her to seek other forms of gainful employment).

That being said, I am struck by the depth of the Blogosphere at the moment. It is perhaps as deep (though not as strong) as it ever has been. This was reinforced in my mind when I went to the Reader this morning. Among the posts I enjoyed (this isn't every post, just the ones I particularly enjoyed) in just the last 24 hours:
Of course I would rather add a Pittsblog post and a PittGirl post to that list, but I think it's a pretty formidable list without them and that's just TODAY.

No comments: